Bark!

http://seahorsecorral.org/wav/bark.wav

Monday, October 22, 2007

Week 7: # 16 Wikis

Wikis I've done - in Wikipedia and in the "Harriet" wiki to request copies and flyers and such. It certainly is working in the copy request format we have at HCPL. I logged in and added my blog to the ihcpl wiki. While it is nice that there are favorite books and movie wikis, we have the book and movie reviews on the HCPL website. At what point do we say we've left our mark in enough places?
I can certainly see how a "community" wiki would be a nice thing to have; e.g. a wiki in our area that would list the sports organizations with updated information on registration times, ages, schedules. How nice that would be for all parents with kids who participate in various sports. I can see many applications for a wiki. However, I can also see how there would have to be someone who is ultimately in charge, in order to keep it focused and accurate. We've all heard about Wikipedia and the mis-information that is posted - did I happen to read it before it was corrected? Or was I one of the unfortunate ones who accessed it when it had incorrect data.
I think this is another one of those times when it needs to be stressed that the information is only as good as who/what posts it; look for authority if using the information for something that needs to be verified and accurate - as in, does your grade depend on the information being accurate - always double check. Otherwise, wiki away!

No comments: