Bark!

http://seahorsecorral.org/wav/bark.wav

Saturday, March 21, 2009

53 # 3 Books & Reading: download an ebook

Overdrive I love; and I can even do this myself. That means it is easy for anybody to use. I much prefer the audio portion of Overdrive - I want to read a book while holding it. I don't want to read it on my computer, PC or laptop. But I would listen to it - on a computer or a WMA device or an MP3 player.

That said, I have been very happy using ebooks when I needed help. I've worked on projects at home and needed manuals that I didn't have and rather than going back to the library I've found them online from Netlibrary or Safari and could find the information I needed in various chapters or pages from titles in the HCPL catalog. That has been a life-saver. But I only had to read the portion I needed: check the index, navigate to the appropriate page and find the information I needed. Then use the information and shut the book. That is the big advantage as far as I can see and it was huge at 11 at night.

I just can't get comfortable reading an electronic book like I can with a traditional book and would never choose a fiction title online if I had a choice. However, I read newspapers, magazines, etc. all the time online and really like the easy access to them. It is so easy to check in and see what is happening when you have just a few minutes. So it basically comes down to what I would be reading online - it seems like anything is good, as long as it isn't my leisure reading.

No comments: