Bark!

http://seahorsecorral.org/wav/bark.wav

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Week 10: #23 THE END!!!!!

Well, I ran the gamut of emotions with this exercise. I was excited about the prospect of learning new technologies - anticipation was high! The reality of some of the discovery exercises plunged me into the depths of despair - I was technologically impaired, there was no hope for me, I had become my mother!

I would have to say that overall I enjoyed this program of "discovery", although I know that I'd have given up on some if I hadn't needed to complete all for the training hours. Some of these I will never use again, but I will not swear to that. I learned my lesson with children, to never swear, "I would never do (use) that!"

Zoho writer has been useful already, but I can't wait to delete my bloglines account, or Library Elf. There have been way too many user names and passwords to remember. I think Mike has a program that keeps track of them for you - perhaps that should be one of the sites we learn about next!

I do think we should continue this as a training opportunity, but with changes. After listening to the staff, here are a few suggestions that perhaps should be incorporated into the exercise.
  • Start earlier in the year.
  • Let each exercise last 1 month, with only one new activity introduced each week that builds upon the original concept - that way there is a better climate for really learning the exercise.
  • Let each exercise be independent of the others, if staff want to do one but not another, let them accrue training hours for the ones they actually did.

Bling is not really necessary - the training hours should be enough incentive. Or else it should be sooooo spectacular that everyone wants to complete all the exercises in order to get bling (perhaps WMA player to go along with Overdrive - or better yet, you complete the exercises and your name goes into a drawing for a chance as one of 5 winners of a WMA player). Maybe flash drives could be the bling for completing all the exercises along with the training hours. Those who only complete selected exercises, only get the training hours. Fair.

No comments: